Thursday, November 1, 2012

Nano Day 1

So here we are, It's day number one and I can honestly say that I am incredibly enthusiastic about what transpired all day. I stayed up until midnight last night so that I could go ahead and begin writing just as the start. My region was hosting an online kick off party that I joined in on the first time and it was a blast! Just having that little bit of communication with others who are doing the same thing is truly awesome. So I suggest, if you've never been to an actual write in (like me) or kick off party I really think the online kick off really gave me a burst of momentum. I was able to write 1,738 words in an hour. So yes that was my total word count knocked out in an hour, which if I do say so myself, is pretty awesome. 

I went to bed at 1 and woke up at 6 a.m for work and began writing again while I was there. That's actually one of the things I really love about my job. I get to write and read and it's not frowned upon. it took me a little while longer to actually finish my second 1,716 words but I managed and it wasn't too painful. That brought my word count for the day to 3,454 words on day one and I am pretty happy with that. 

While writing I was able to flesh out a couple more details about characters that I just couldn't 'see' while I was plotting. Like I had no idea that Kai's group of men consisted of 4 men a set of triplets and a gorgeous blonde. I also had no idea that Matt smoked or that he kind of looks like Jackson Rathbone. Seriously. No clue. I think that's one of the things I love about writing, finding little tidbits of info that you never knew, but that makes these characters so much more real. 

I was originally planning on having a goal of 5k on the first day but I didn't want to burn myself out on the first day. So I'm going to set my daily goal as at least 3334 words, in two scenes with word count totaling at least 1.7k each. I'm setting the scene length because I've been known to write short punchy scenes and I wanted to challenge myself to try and make them longer. Who knows how that will work out, but I'm going to try. I'm also going to go back over what I wrote for the day and spell check (since I really detest spell-checking long documents) while I read over everything to get an idea of what the next scene will be.(But no editing) I think that's one of the things that always stopped me before, not knowing what was coming next when it was time to write. I want to already have at least an idea of how the next scene begins before I sit down to write.

I also received two postcards from my swap buddies (Nano Postcard Swap). They were both beautiful and inspirational and lifted my spirit even higher than it had already been soaring. So I'd like to thank Sarah and Krista for the wonderful words of encouragement. They really made my day.

Word count: 3,454

No comments:

Post a Comment