Thursday, October 4, 2012

Not trying to be a wannabe

Okay, so I decided to start this blog to chronicle this year's Nano and to hopefully give myself a little bit of accountability with my writing. I will readily admit that I have started and also pretty quickly killed several of the blogs that I have started in my life. I don't know what it is about blogs that i just never stick to them.

The only thing that I've seemed to keep going back to is pinterest and I am seriously convinced that it has some kind of subliminal messaging that keeps me addicted or something, but I just find myself going back again and again. However that is neither here nor there.

I have successfully completed two Nano's and won both ( '10 and '11 ). However neither of those wins were easy. In fact they were seriously messy and painful. The first week I'd pretty much stick to the word count and then something happens and two weeks go by where I haven't even opened the word document, let alone write any words. Then I'm left with the task of writing 40,000 words in two weeks. It's not pretty, and honestly I'm not even sure how I do it, but somehow I end up on November 30, with 50,000 words and a novel that is not finished but somehow remarkable.

I have no idea where the words, the sentences, the scenes come from in the wee hours of the morning when I can barely keep my eyes open, yet my brain is still making my fingers fly over the keyboard, but it's awesome. That's the magic of Nano. You see what you are made of, what you're capable of if you just push yourself, and its beautiful.

But I need to try and actually finish a novel. That's the goal, it always has been, but for some reason I never get there. I want to publish and be successful at this thing that I love to do but without actually finishing, I'm nothing but a wannabe. So this is it. This is me saying that I am finally going to succeed somehow whether it kills me. I'm going to do it. By any means necessary.

First up... pinning down an idea.  

------------------------
Now playing--Anything could happen by Ellie Goulding

No comments:

Post a Comment